Dear mum,What I need from you: Don’t lie to me or protect me – I need to know the truth so I can trust you when you say ‘you are fine’!
- Don’t leave me out – I need to be involved in the family discussion, talk to me, and include me!
- Please communicate – I hear everything anyway and I don’t like to figure things out myself since I might get it wrong – talk to me!
- Don’t hide your feelings by sending a different body signal than how you feel – it confuses me when I have to second guess how you really feel!
- Give me special time every day – so I know you still love me and don’t feel alone.
- Take time to listen to me – so I don’t have to worry alone. Allow me to express my worry and sadness and talk to you openly.
- Speak simply and clearly – I don’t need to know everything in details, so please use a simple and factual language without looong explanations!
- Create shared happy moments – yes life is hard right not but let’s create meaningful and positive activities together
- Support normality in our life – I need routines so I feel safe.
- Don’t spoil me or make excuses for my behaviour – I need to know that I am still worthy of discipline and rules.
- Make me feel needed and valued – I can do so much more than you think; I can bring you tea, have chores to ease your burden.
- Don’t force yourself to be with me ALL the time – I would rather you spend time with other adults than feeling like a burden to you when you are tired. Get some rest so we can spend some meaningful moments together that we will both enjoy
- It is OK to cry with me – so I can cry too!
- Respect if I don’t want to talk – sometimes I just need to think, but still be with me!
For more information about Samspaces, please use the following contact details. www.samspaces.co.uk [email protected] Twitter – @samspaces Facebook – @Samspaces Instagram – @samspaces_safespaceaftercancer
For more information about Parenting Success Coaching, please use the following contact details. www.parentingsuccesscoaching.com Twitter – @parentsuccessco Facebook – @parentingsuccesscoaching